Calling all EduBloggers

12/11/2005 11:22:00 pm

I'm doing another Rip, Mix, Learn workshop on Friday December 16. We'll begin the day with an overview of how I use blogs and other read/write web tools in my classes; I call that session "OLÉ" -- Orchestrating a Learning Ecology (or Learning the Tango). I'll post more about that session here when it's done and ready for public consumption. We'll also touch on some of the issues surrounding blogging in the classroom that have been the focus of discussion around here for the last little while.

Like last time, I plan to model for the 20 or so teachers participating, how to use the technology by actually having them use it themselves. Lots of play time. (I learned some lessons from the last RML I did. ;-))

Anyway. I was wondering if anyone would like to join in the blogging section of the workshop which will take place starting at around 11:00 - 11:30 am central time. I'd be interested in having some "visitors from afar" skype into the conversation as well. I think Sheryl will be there and I'd love to have Bud, Clarence, Dean, Will, Anne, Mr. McNamar or Jo drop by as well as anyone else who'd like to participate.

Essentially I'm looking for teachers that have used blogs with their students. I'd like you to answer two questions for the teachers in my workshop:

    »How have you used blogs with your classes?
    »What impact has it had on your students' learning?

This invitation is wide open. If you're interested email me or leave me a comment on this post. Thanks! ;-)

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Darren:
    Wow, thanks for wanting my input. Here are my answers to your questions.
    »How have you used blogs with your classes?
    My Pre-College English class uses their blog for mulitple purposes. The primary purpose is to react in some way to the literature we are reading or the discussions that we have in class. Their post topic need only relate or connect in a broad sense to what we have read or discussed. These posts are scored on content, conventions, and comments they leave (need at least 2 comments on a peer's post).
    The secondary purpose is to communicate general thougths about the class, assignments, etc. We currently have had a school-wide food drive taking place. Some of my students have used the blog to encourage fellow students to donate.
    »What impact has it had on your students' learning?
    Well, that is difficult to assess. But, I believe that my students are benefiting from a regular writing regiment and the opportunity to formulate opinions that are uniquely their own. My blogging requirement also allows them to direct their own writing, a skill I believe is vital for future college students.

    ReplyDelete