Amplifying Serendipity

5/09/2007 10:28:00 pm

These are the slides from the talk I gave today at the Manitoba Librarians Conference. In 75 minutes we touched on so many topics that it was difficult to do justice to them all. Right afterwards I thought of many things I wish I had said or illustrated ... c'est la vie, maybe next time. ;-)

Towards the end of the talk I did a quick demo of twitter. The slide where twitter is introduced is captioned "The stupidest idea you've ever heard." In fact, twitter has become my one stop, lightening quick connection to a professional community that educates me and helps me solve problems on the fly. The people I was talking to were intrigued by my ideas about how to use twitter in the classroom. More on this in a future post.

As I promised at the conference today the entire presentation is archived here; the slides, the links (coming soon) and the audio (also coming soon). We didn't get a chance to see the twitter community react to my request to say hello, but say hello they did. Thanks to Rob Wall, Chris Craft, Kelly Dumont, Nancy White and Lisa Durff who tried to tweet out to us but her computer wasn't cooperating. I've cut and pasted the tweets sent our way below.

If any of the librarians in attendance today drop by I hope you'll leave your feedback in the comment section on this post; just click on the comments link at the bottom of this post and join the conversation. ;-)

BTW, when reading the tweets below you should know that they are in reverse order; the first one is at the bottom, the newest one is at the top.

And here are the slides ...

You can also view the slides in full screen mode.

Here are all the links organized by slide...

It turns out the links I embeded in the slideshow are all active in the window above. Some slides have more than one link and some links can be found by clicking on an image rather than text. This is much better than me listing them all manually. (I really love SlideShare.) You may have to click around each slide a bit but all the links work and are accessible directly from the slides above. I checked. For some of them it'll be a little like a treasure hunt. Have fun. ;-)

Update: May 11
I lost the last 20 minutes or so of the audio. I don't know what happened. That's twice now this has happened to me. The question period is irreplaceable. Rats!

I'm going to try to recreate the last bit of my talk over the weekend but I find it always sounds different (better) when I'm speaking to people live.

Update: May 17
I discovered all the links are accessible in the slide show window just as I was about to add them manually. Still haven't finished remixing the audio but it's on my "to do" list. I'll be publishing it soon; perhaps over this weekend.

You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. Hey Darren!

    Happy to be a part of your preso!

    Just a quick something, my blog/link changed, it's no longer opensource.christophercraft.com and it is now

    www.crucialthought.com

    Thanks!

    Chris Craft

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10/5/07 06:48

    Hi Darren,

    I really appreciated your presentation. As a matter of act, this is second time I have been to your prsentation. The last time was at Personal Leanring Environments Symposium which was held at the University of Manitoba. I am glad that I went again. Your presentation gave many interesting case studies of how students are engaging themsevels through social networking tools in your class. And the underlying message is that people learn by doing and by connecting to actual friends and people in relation to what they are doing and leanring. Your enthusiasm and excitement of your students learning were palpable throughout the presentation. Without those, it could have been just a demonstration of various social networking tools. Thanks a lot!

    Thanks also for candidly sharing your original idea about Twitter and your change about it in its usefulness shortly after. Many of the social networking tools can be said the same, probably: Unless you get involved with them, it would be hard to appreciate what they do to you and mean to you. So active engagement and then criticism or a opinion or two can follow.

    I look foward to reviewing your presentation piece again.

    Akochan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, the serendipity continues because in 2 weeks I'm going to be hanging out for two days with school librarians in Portugal. Your ideas just gave me a ton of new ideas. So I'll carry this a bit further afield!

    THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11/5/07 12:45

    Hi Darren,

    I have just viewed the slides from your presentation. I am a teacher-librarian who is trying to spread the word about how web 2.0 tools can be used in our profession and I greatly appreciate the examples and the diagrams you used. They illustrate so well collaborating, creating and sharing beyond school walls.

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11/5/07 16:38

    Chris: Thanks for the tweet and for letting me know about the link. I just updated it. ;-)

    akochan: Glad you've dropped by! If we're ever at a conference together again I hope you'll come up to say hi and let me shake your hand. It's good to know you got something valuable out of the presentation.

    Nancy: That's the idea. ;-) I hope to someday lift your idea of handing our chocolate during a presentation. I've never been present at one of your talks but I heard you do it in the audio. Let me know if you're ever in Winnipeg. ;-)

    Donna: I'm glad there was something there that caught your interest. It was a little intimidating talking about information management ideas to a room full of librarians ... information mavens in their own right. ;-)

    ReplyDelete